A Note from Brit

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I have now moved over to my own domain for more room to grow, so make sure to check my new site and blog out at brittaswiderski.com. :)

Monday, November 29, 2010

Week 12 - Monday Video Tutorial: Colored Pencil

Hello and welcome to another Video Tutorial Monday. Firstly, I wanted to thank you for all of the sweet birthday wishes yesterday. It makes my heart so happy! The crafty world is truly the best. I'm in the midst of packing up this morning and flying home this afternoon back to Minneapolis. I had a wonderful time at home with my family, but it's definitely time to go back and get lots of work done. The next three weeks are going to be absolutely insane for me with final projects and finals coming up way to quickly, so I may be posting only a few times a week instead of 5 or 6. Don't worry, though- as soon as finals are over, I'm sure I'm going to want to relax by making lots of pretty things. :) Of course, I'll be working on my December Daily and probably posting that a couple times a week. My Instax Mini is waiting at home for me, so I can't wait to break it out and start this project. 

Anyways, back to VTM. I wanted to expand on my earlier videos about coloring with colored pencils, so I made this one about adding depth to images that already have "pre-determined" colors. For example, this wreath image. You basically have the choices between reds and greens, no matter how you slice it, so I show you how to make plain coloring really pop by blending lights, mediums, and darks. Here's today's card:

And the video. (Watch it on YouTube, subscribe to my channel.)
Supplies: Cardstock- Papertrey Ink (Kraft), Stamps- Lawn Fawn (Bows and Holly), Colored Pencils- Prisma (48 Color), Ink- Tsukineko (Memento Black) and Ranger (Vintage Photo Distress INk), Glossy Accents- Ranger, Scoring Board- Martha Stewart (EK Success).

By the way, this is the set of colored pencils I have:
You can buy them here on amazon or at my favorite art supply store, Dick Blick (with a mail-in rebate offer for purchases over $50), but I wouldn't buy them for more than 40 dollars. I think I bought mine for $30 at Michaels when they were 50% off. They go on sale every once in a while, and you can usually use a coupon on them. I like this set a lot as a good range of color, but I have picked up some extra individual colors for specific drawings that I had to do for class. I hope someday to accumulate the whole collection, but we'll see how that goes. These pencils are awesome quality and will last a very long time, so I highly recommend them. As far as art supplies go, these are definitely a good investment.

Of course, plain old Crayola pencils would work too. If you have those and want to try this technique with those, just make sure to color lightly on the bottom layer. They're not as easy blend since there's more wax in them, but if you color lightly, you should be fine.

If you have any other questions about colored pencils, feel free to comment here or on the video. I'd love to answer or point you in the right direction of some resources. Thank you for stopping by today! I have to dash off to start packing. Ha.

Love.
Brit

1 comment:

China said...

thanks for sharing..useful ideas!! :O)