A Note from Brit

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I have now moved over to my own domain for more room to grow, so make sure to check my new site and blog out at brittaswiderski.com. :)

Friday, November 12, 2010

Copic Beautifulness.

I just turned in my paper that was due later today and I can honestly say that I've never been so happy to have a paper done. I still have a bit of homework to do over the weekend, but at least I can relax for tonight! Happy weekend, everybody! :)

A couple weeks ago, I posted this Monday Video Tutorial about working with clear cards. I got a lot of questions about how I colored the flower, so I wanted to do a video to show how I use Copics and how they work for me. This isn't the only way to use them; this is the way they work for me. Feel free to share any tips and tricks you might have int he comments, and I'll even come back and add them to this post. I wanted this post to be a resource for you to come back to if you have a quick question about Copics.

The Video
(Watch on youtube; subscribe to my channel.)

The Card
I cut out the colored flower and leaves and then made this cute vintage-y card with the pieces:
 Here's a close-up of the coloring:
Supplies: Cardstock- Papertrey Ink (Kraft, Vintage Cream, and Fine Linen), Patterned Paper- Cosmo Cricket (Wander Collection 6 by 6 pad), Stamps- Papertrey Ink (Year of Flowers: Roses) and Hero Arts (CL140 Thinking of You Messages), Markers- Copic (R20, R22, R35, YG25, YG17, YG67), Ink- Tsukineko (Black Memento) and Ranger (Vintage Photo), Corner Rounder- WRMK. 

My Copics
I've been buying Copics since earlier this year and have accrued quite the collection. I think I have all of the colors pretty well covered in the most minimalist way possible, so I wanted to share with you what I have hoping to inspire you. You don't need to own all the Copics to be able to have something for every project (although that would be awesome!)... Now, I say this with a grain of salt. Of course, I'll be buying more over time as I need them for different projects. This is what's working for me right now, and I'm happy. :) 

By the way, I buy all of my Copics from Blick Art Supply in the store. Since I'm a student, I get their preferred customer card for free (along with a 10% discount on everything), so this is the most cost-effective way to buy them for me.
My neutrals- a wide range of the Toner Greys, a colorless blender, a black marker, and the .3 and .7 Micro liners. On my list to add to my collection: a set of browns and some skin tones.
My Pinks and Reds. The left ones are the my fuchsia tones, and the ones on the right are more peachy and red.
My Oranges, Yellows, and Greens. I only have one orange because it blends with the yellows. This is probably where I'll add to my collection next, but I'm okay with it this way.
My Blues and Purples.

The Storage
Okay, this isn't so much a solution as a problem. I have a couple methods in mind as to how to store them, but my desk space is limited. We'll see what I come up with, but this is what a currently use to store my markers:
As of my recent shopping trip, I have outgrown this method, so I have all of my neutrals outside of the oh-so-fancy plastic cup:
I'll update you as soon as I figure out a way that actually works for me in this area. Ha.

The Best Sources
There are a couple of posts that really have served as an inpiration to me when learning out to use my copics. I'll list them here:
Jennifer McGuire's Copic Post
Nichol Magouirk's Skin Tones with Copics post
Nichol Magouirk's recent My Favorite Copics post
Nichol Magouirk's Original Copics Info post (her blog in general is great for picking up tips and tricks about how to incorporate Copics in scrapbooking and cardmaking)

Hope this helps you out a little in navigating the crazy world of Copics. I love them; they're a great tool and super fun to use. Let me know if you have any questions!

I've had a total blast featuring some of my favorite Etsy sellers, and I've saved of my favorites for last. Today's featured seller is PrettyTape. This shop sells one of my newest obsessions: washi tape. She also sells wonderful things to go along with them like tape dispensers and some super cute stamps. Here's one of my favorite projects using her tape:

(I blogged this project here.) I have about 15 rolls of tape now from PrettyTape, and they come in the most gorgeous colors. I seriously spend so long surfing there when I get in my Washi Tape moods. Hehe. Here are some other great things for sale:

Pretty Pastel Pattern - Masking Sticker Set - 27 Sheets (w/ Tin Case)



Aren't her store items lovely? Shipping is super affordable, too. Go check out PrettyTape and spread the happy office supply love. :)

Thank you for stopping by today. I'm going to go de-stress by cleaning up my room and getting it ready for some pictures I'm going to take for my blog post tomorrow. We're talking storage. I'm so excited to share what I've done lately with organizing my stamps and ink, so make sure to stop back for a look at that. Have a happy evening!

Love.
Brit

4 comments:

Jill said...

Just had to pop in and tell you that you rock! Love this post and love your Copic coloring!! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for this Brit! I'm one of the many who requested a video after seeing that gorgeous clear card :) This is one just as beautiful and you made the coloring look so simple! Thanks again <3

Tiffany Ervin said...

WOW!! Your rose looks absolutely stunning in every way, just adore it! Your coloring is perfect! I love that sweet and gentle pink!

Christiana said...

Beautiful card! I loved the video.

As for Copic storage, I have a rolltop desk, so I just pulled out two of the mini drawers and use the empty space to hold my markers.

Here's a couple of solutions that might work for you:

A little pricey, but really nice:
http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/Copic-Marker-Empty-Wire-72-slot-Stand/5241097/product.html?cid=123620&fp=F&mr:trackingCode=4331543F-52C1-DF11-98FF-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

Much cheaper, plus portable:
http://www.cutting-mats.net/copic-art-markers-4288.html

Let us know what you end up doing!